Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The how to's of the Chinese potty with a 2 year old

I am still working on perfecting the "potty technique" with a 2 year old. I was quite excited to discover Maggie was potty trained and we wouldn't have to mess with diapers. What I didn't think about is what using a public toilet in China with a child would mean. If you have been to China you know that the potty is a hole in the middle of a stall minus the toilet paper. When you take a child to the potty you have to hold them over The Hole. My first attempt at this Maggie peed all over my shoes - thank goodness they were waterproof. After that episode I realized I didn't have her legs positioned quite right. On our second attempt I knew I should pull her legs way back and up - think lady birthing a baby. This time around her pee shot up and soaked the backside of her pants that hung around her ankles. In all of this you have to fumble around for the toilet paper in your pocket and make a dash to wipe pre-dribble. I thought I would be much smarter to have the roll already ready in my hand, but in maneuvering and holding 28 pounds the roll dropped and rolled out the stall (TP is a hot commodity so I was so disappointed). I've got about 8 more days to many to work on this. Would love any tips

5 comments:

  1. Stefanie, still trying to get a visual of you actually HOLDING her? Can you strip her and have her squat over the hole? It would keep her clothes from getting wet or touching the floor, and then she could just go, stand up, and you could wipe her. You know, the Chinese squat position that you see all the time would be perfect...I know it is a pain to take her lower 1/2 clothes off, but sounds like you are having to do that anyway.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, no advice from me: Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a test... none of my other posts that I have posted have showed up so I am wondering what I am doing wrong?If this works I will post again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I know this is not what you want to read, but I'm with Eve. Let her do it like she is used to doing it. Do you have the antibacterial wipes wrapped invidually? (I will NOT go to China without those:). Anyway, yeah, I'd just let her squat. I know gross but you could then wipe her down. I don't know that you could ever get the position just right in one of those. Jameson squatted for months on our potties after he came home to do his big business. He would stand up on it and squat. I suppose he was the one wondering, "What in the world is this and WHY are they calling it a toilet???"

    Another option, let her use the sink (if there is one) and no one is looking. I know, I know, but it would be cleaner presumably. Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure in the moment you are not laughing, but you are making me laugh to tears girl! With Clare...I took the pants off and she knew just what to do...I did hold her hand so she wouldn't fall...or was she holding my hand so I didn't fall...not sure! We avoided the Holes as much as possible let's just say. Love your pictures...especially seeing how she is with Graham. Maggie's face is so sweet...kissable cheeks! Toasted a Starbucks to you all tonight...Love ya, Anne

    ReplyDelete